Monday, September 8, 2008

Narrow society

I find it weird to know our Muslim society is very emotional and narrow minded on various issues and tend to jump to conclusion which I seriously find it disturbing . I am not here to judge but base on my daily experience, I discovered we have the 'Holier than thou' mentality. For example, some malay family saw a whirling video, quickly they label it as deviation or different sect of Islam. What is happening to our society? Just because we don't have the knowledge to understand, doesn't mean it should be consider as heretic. This show how much we are left behind and we lack of exposure as we became a society of dry wood. It reminds me back 10 years ago, I have an American friend who came to Singapore. Hes a Maliki mazhab therefore whenever he pray he used to put his hand on the side. I don't know if i were to consider it humor or disgust when some of my friends said he might not be on the same Islam as us. And I was like dumbfounded about it. I was like 'What?' There you go, people tend to judge something which they don't even know about.

I am not belittling anyone neither am I saying I know everything but at least put on our thinking caps and be rational before we judge anyone. Most of the people I know didn't have any clue on whirling and therefore most of the fatwa you get from them make you feel more afraid to say, how narrow we could be. The best thing is, non Muslims probably understand our knowledge and appreciate it sincerely.

No comments: